No announcement yet.
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbel

But Geoff, Barbel could be a major problem to the Salmon, nothing has been proven, but just saying, could be.
    It was a renowned Salmon river after all.

True SD... As was the Rhine, where salmon and barbel co-existed perfectly well until mans intervention. Just saying...

Comment

The Rhine at 1200km's in length is a somewhat different kettle of fish to a relatively small river like the Wye at 200km's. The middle and upper middle 'Barbel Zone ' of the rhine is longer than the entire Wye and still leaves enough upper river for salmon to spawn unmolested in a couple of 100 kilometres of river. The difference with the Wye is that the Salmon spawn quite low down the river, arounf Hereford and just above was always the most prolific area and this is the area that has been 'taken over' by the Barbel.
      It is environmental barbarism to introduce or even support an invasive species like the Barbel in a river like the Wye. Who knows what effect it has had? One thing is sure if you put 100lb of Barbel in a river they will displace an equal amount of other fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPJtQ_qthxk

Comment

Well, having watched that video, what chance have salmon got, most of the eggs do not get in the gravel anyway, if any do get covered
        it is only shallow, then these beasts come along (apologies Geoff) and dig them out, its a wonder we get any Salmon at all.

Agree SF anybody that knows the river are aware that fish spawn well down and as you say most prolific in the middle, and yet the
        charity / business are still hell bent to get them up the little streams to be protected by nice wire fencing and very few trees or LWD so
        they can see where they are going.

Comment

I guess that a lot of fish feed on the stray salmon eggs, Grayling, Trout and even Salmon parr as well as Chub etc but these creatures actually dig the redds up it seems ....

Comment

As far as I know there is no mandatory C&R for barbel, so knock them on the head, the trouble with that is you cant catch them on fly or
            devon. Or can you ??

Comment

One recently caught on flying C in the middle river and some of the biggest were taken from the royalty on the hants avon spinning with a devon, may have been foul hooked though.
              I reckon you could catch em on a large weighted nymph soaked in fish oil.

Comment

Maybe they are hoovering up Chub eggs as we speak !

What are the Chub match catches like these days compared to the 178 lb record for a 5 hour match (all chub)?

I see the Wye championship was won with 72lb in 2011

Comment

It may well be that the resurgence of the Otter may be another reason for the slight improvements in the Wye's salmon runs.

Comment

A small correction is needed SF

Comment

For those of you that think the above post has a cryptic significance, not so. It's my computer suffering death throes.. The correction is that the Wye Champs. record is something like 318lbs caught in the same peg as Woody's previous 178lb record.

Regarding otters,earlier this week I watched a fully grown bitch otter for about an hour during which time she caught 8 fish, 5 of which were tiddlers,one troutand 2 shad, one of which was a very fair size. Shows you just what havoc they can play with fish stock.

Comment

Ah TCT but the Shad, Tiddlers, Trout and Otter are supposed to be there the Barbel are not.

Comment

Geoff Maynard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So are salmon but beggars can't be choosers No shad seen at Hay yet, none I've seen anyway.

They are up as far as Builth Geoff.

Comment

Geoff Maynard commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ah! Must have shot past me last week whilst I was over in France then :-) I had a dabble with the 5 weight last night for an hour or so - had a brownie and a grayling but saw nothing of the shad. Must look harder!

They must be a strange meal for a river Otter, of course they only take them when there are no barbel readily available or any Carp ponds in the area.

Comment

NRW may have taken all the Barbel out down as far as Hay by now, they said they were going to didn't they ??

Comment

Working...
                          X