• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Canoe passport and other earthly delights

Brecon Beacons passport scheme here

They are also encouraging canoeists on the glasbury to hay stretch here

update

i emailed them about the Glasbury to Hay section ...the line manager is looking into it

i wrote
    I have just been reading your website and have encountered the following

There are two venues for year-round canoeing - on the river Wye from Glasbury to Hay, and at Brecon Promenade on the River Usk. The 100 miles of the River Wye from Hay on Wye to the sea has a year-round right of navigation and is perfect for touring. The Environment Agency produce a guidebook for the River Wye.

on this page
    http://www.breconbeacons.org/splash/where-to-go/rivers

are you aware that there is no public right of navigation from Glasbury to Hay on Wye, in fact several of the owners of the river there are definitely hostile towards the destruction of their peaceful enjoyment of their river by noisy and illegal canoeists.

they replied

Dear ,

Thank you for this observation which I will note and discuss with my line manager.

Best Wishes,

Comment

Sometimes.... there's so much one wants to write but because it's the net, one can't! Grrrr. Still, that's why we keep bull terriers and lawyers! ;-)

Comment

Just looking through the WUF 'passportt' I see that on page 132 it offers

Upper river wye: Newbridge to Hay - canoeing permitted 18th October to 15th March and outside those dates when water height exceeds the red line on the Llanstephan gauge. Launching from Glasbury should only be between 10am and 4pm.

Comment

Why are the Wye and Usk Foundation involved with and promoting Canoeing? Who are they representing?

Comment

They are representing anyone where there's a few bob to be made.

Comment

Just been across the bridge at Glasbury. The armada gathers in big numbers. Wouldn't want to be fishing below Glasbury today for sure. Susupect its the same Hereford to Monmouth.

Comment

A number of us had altercations with canoeists yesterday on the lower river. A group seemed to deliberately chose the water in front of my colleague and me to perform their acrobatics and just ignored us when asked to move on.

Comment

I saw this on the fff

I hope i don’t offend anyone or have my post removed. i saw this feedback on the wuf site and feel i must comment.
                  Quote:
                  M. B. from Taunton,Somerset, Monday 10 June, 2013
                  Beat: Courtfield (Booking Office), Fishing Type: Salmon, No. Anglers: 2
                  No Salmon caught. 6 x large Shad hooked on spinner.
                  Found it difficult to get a fly in the water due to the constant flow of canoeists passing by. Then to make things worse, one capsized right in front me and waded right back up the fly run at wyebank thinking the whole thing was a laugh.
                  I said something to him that made him get out my swim promptly.(I spoke to the Beat Owner Don at the river and he asked me to report this to the Wye and Usk Foundation and the EA). Our day was pretty well spoiled after a 200 mile round trip. I will only fish the Usk in the future.

WUF Note: Wye fisheries from Hay downstream to Monmouth can be subject to heavy canoe traffic at this time of year, especially at weekends. Our advice is to fish early and late in the day or if this isn't practical, book a beat that is outside a right of navigation.

when are wuf going to give anglers advice about canoes on the booking office page or at the time of booking? all that’s needed is a link to the WSA canoe leaflet

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?...IFC2vIbjT2HirQ

people need to be warned of what to expect. giving advice at the end of some-ones feedback is not going to help them at all.
                  I wonder if the unsuspecting angler knows that WUF are trying to get more canoeing in the Usk?

Comment

I wonder if the unsuspecting angler knows that WUF are trying to get more canoeing in the Usk?
                    And the Severn, Vyrnwy, Banwy, Towi and others. The wuf way, don't try to cure the problem, pass it on to someone else.

Comment

In fact anywhere where there may be splash funding available, including some lower Usk tributaries I believe.

Comment

I see canoeists have been awarded MBE's, crikey they must have a lot of medals they dont know what to do with.

Comment

I just loved this

Comment

two points:
                            Two days ago an angler at Llanthomas politely attempted to clear the beach of trespassing canoeists. He was verbally abused and intimidated with threatening behaviour by several of a party of 30 canoeists. In response the police were called and arrived within about half an hour but after the canoes had departed. After the situation was explained to the officer, he drove straight down to Hay bridge to find the main offender(s). I don't know what happened thereafter.
                            I had this link sent to me the other day. It would seem that at least in 2008 WUF were making attempts to limit canoes between Hay and Glasbury.
                            http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...Eye+on+the+Wye

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Maynard View Post
                              two points:
                              Two days ago an angler at Llanthomas politely attempted to clear the beach of trespassing canoeists. He was verbally abused and intimidated with threatening behaviour by several of a party of 30 canoeists. In response the police were called and arrived within about half an hour but after the canoes had departed. After the situation was explained to the officer, he drove straight down to Hay bridge to find the main offender(s). I don't know what happened thereafter.
                              I had this link sent to me the other day. It would seem that at least in 2008 WUF were making attempts to limit canoes between Hay and Glasbury.
                              http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...Eye+on+the+Wye
                              but their "Glasbury to Hay" guide dated May 2011 reads

Glasbury to Hay-on-Wye,
                              May 2011 onwards
                              Reach Length: Map Symbols:
                              5.44 miles
                              Terms and Conditions:
                              Canoeing can take place between 18th October and 15th March inclusive.
                              In the event of high water outside this period, additional access is granted when the water height on the gauge at Erwood http://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/conditions/gauge1.php is above the red marker.
                              The general terms and conditions for upper Wye paddling always apply.
                              A covenant made when the site was given to the public on this site requires launching of canoes to be between 10.00am and 4.00pm ONLY.
                              N.B. There is a public right of navigation from Hay on Wye downstream.
                              surely it should be

"N.B. There is no public right of navigation from Glasbury to Hay on Wye"

Comment

Working...
                              X