• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WUF Canoeing and Splash

Here is an email subject of a freedom of information request from EAW

From: Dr Stephen Marsh-Smith [mailto:stephen@wyeuskfoundation.org]
    Sent: 11 June 2010 11:09
    To: 'Strickland, Matt'; Jones, Ieuan (ESH - ECM); 'Schofield, Andy'
    Cc: Watkins, John (ESH - ECM); Dellar, Catrin (ESH - ECM); Quarrell, Gerry (ESH - ECM)
    Subject: RE: Access to Water Sub Group Meeting - potential projects
    Matt

My view on your selection is as follows:
    1. Usk – when the Sus Ctte has deliberated and owners have settled down, I think there is a distinct possibility of an out of season 18th Oct – 2nd March arrangement here. You already know of the sensitivities here.
    2. Severn, plus its tribs. Banwy and Vyrnwy could also be included. We don’t know much about this area but we are about to commence a river restoration project in these catchments
    3. Tywi – In addition to the section you have marked, the section immediately downstream of Llandeilo as far Nantgareddig is mainly privately owned and in two principal holdings. I know the owners well and in earlier discussions, they were not averse in principle to usage from 1st Feb – 1st April but only if this is strictly adhered to. Would be happy to negotiate here.
    In addition to your selection another occurred to us during a discussion in the office:

The Llwyd (or Lwyd) runs south from Blaenavon thru’ Pontypool, Cwmbran to join the Usk near Newport (its the one you can see from the train from Abergavenny southwards) Until recently, it has been heavily dammed with 5 very substantial weirs. In May we took out the one at Pontypool and have been given consent to remove the next one upstream. There is a meeting planned shortly to deal with the one above that. This would leave one at Blaenavon – an upper limit and one at Pont y Moel. At a guess there could be some 20km+ with just one weir to negotiate to get to Ponthir.

I should stress that it is a small spate “Valleys” river that would have some “red or black” run bits at the right height but for most of the year is at summer level or less. With delicate negotiation, it could be brought on board (the view of my project officer who lives locally) WUF would be available to negotiate if deemed suitable.

Of interest is that the river is crossed at Pont y Moel (aka Pontymoile) by the Brecon and Monmouth

Yours

Stephen

Dr Stephen Marsh - Smith
    Executive Director Wye and Usk Foundation
    WUF Office 01982 560357 560788
    Home Office 560766 Mobile 07812118065
    Coach House, Old Rectory,
    Llanstephan, Brecon, LD3 0YR
    www.wyeuskfoundation.org

He dont arf like to be important dont he getting anywhere he can to keep the empire going.

Comment

Working...
    X