No announcement yet.
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tactics on Opening Day

On the Wye it looks like a rising river and under the brolly.

A brolly? Not in this wind

Comment

Bankside portable log cabin?

like this
      Last edited by stealth_fox; 14-06-13, 11:15 PM.

Comment

So what rig will people be using for the Barbel on opening day?

Comment

My standard rig for big rivers - heavy pellet feeders with 1.75lb TC rods with 4 pellets hair-rigged. Long FC hooklengths and single hookbaits for spooky fish, but I never catch those anyway! The hair-rig helps avoid most chub which can be a pain when tageting barbel.

Comment

Just read today's Angling Times. Man smashes venue match record with 530 odd pounds of fish mostly carp. He used 13, yes thirteen keepnets to contain them all for the weigh in.

What sort of angler takes 13 keepnets with him to a match for gods sake. Sick or what.

Comment

Talking to one of our regular visitors who is also a match man he told me that on some venues you are not allowed to start unless you have 4 keepnets. Each net must hold not exceeding 50lb.

Comment

Fishing - but not as we know it. Its catching but its not fishing!!!!

Comment

It used to be like that on the Severn with Barbel .... well nearly

Comment

A new post on this thread after 6 months! Tactics on opening day will be black and yellow in tube fly form. Having caught just about every species{except perch strangely} on black and yellow tubes it has been my go to fly and this coming season will be no different. But just to start with. I'm going to break with tradition and put my faith in Clouser minnows, deceivers, and sculpins.
                    That's right salt water flies and just to consolidate my heresy not only will they be tied with all artificial fibres but if I have no luck with them I am tying a box of lures based on variants of. vivas montanas woolly buggers. and nymphy things with big eyes.

I can hardly do worse than last year that saw me drifting round Wales for a sum total of one salmon and one sea trout. Over the last couple of seasons I've caught lots of trout on 2 inch tubes and I'm sure I can catch some of the big trout that undoubtedly exist in the Wye on the bait fish patterns. Only time will tell.

Comment

Of course {not coarse} the above is for the forthcoming game fishing opening day.

Comment

Working...
                      X