No announcement yet.
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Trout Fly Rod

What is the best length and line weight for a sea trout rod?

I would be choosing a 10-10'6 #8 for the Dyfi, Mawddach and Tywi. I wouldn't go any shorter without a really good reason. I know rods shorter than 10' are fashionable, and lighter to cast, but they really limit your line control.

Comment

Oh dear. That means my 2 9 feet 6 inch rods will never do for the coming season's assault on the Tywi.

Comment

Opinions TCT! There are lots of regular sewin men who use 9'6" rods and catch lots more fish than me. I took a 9' rod on the lower Tywi once and felt that I would have been much better off with something a lot longer. On the other hand I have never found my 10'6 too long even on much smaller rivers. I do think shorter rods are easier to cast, and are lighter. On a reservoir a 9'6 rod has the edge, but I would rather take my big stick after sewin .

Comment

I have an 11' 3" Daiwa Salmon / Sea Trout rod that seems to be just right.

Comment

I did very well in the days when I used to fish the Wear regularly for sea trout with a no 2 Mepps. The rod was 7' whipped up on Hardy glass blanks (not fibatube) and easily handled fresh-run fish to 5lbs. I lost one much bigger fish on this rod, if not double-figure then certainly near, but that was the fault of the angler, not the rod.
            A short rod will handle the fish without a problem, and I'm sure everyone has seen the picture of Lee Wulff hand-tailing a decent salmon taken on a very short rod (5" if I remember correctly).
            A longer rod will help with line control when fishing a fly.

Comment

Working...
            X