• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also one in December?

Comment

But none in March?

Comment

If you ignore the November catch of 168 and no March catch you are left with the feeling that the difference between the WUF reported catch and the catch from rod licence returns is as much as 60%, well up on the more traditional 30%. Maybe the other english and welsh rivers aren't doing so bad after all and considering that the EA/NRW based their evidence for closing hatcheries on these figures well there may be a case for considering that they are just wrong?

Comment

Yes it was me that emailed colin bradshaw

what I actually said was - none reported yet, one would consider that the impetus to report these fish has declined as the data has been made irrelevant by NRW's decision to stop stocking. Add to this the local rivers trust continuing inability to advise any of its clients that the returns are needed and you can see that some people's hearts were never in it. It doers make one consider that if anglers had been allowed to take the fin clipped fish they may have been keener to check and more would have been reported.
          Maybe the argument could be made that for the last three years fin clipped fish have been reported but not this year because stocking has suddenly stopped working?

As you can see he still misquoted me by omission, funny old thing that?

as for Dee Monkey maybe he should consider that with 4 weeks to go the rod catch isn't even 50% of last years yet - so what exactly isn't working?
          Last edited by stealth_fox; 18-09-17, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I suspect the original cb post was an attempt to re-ignite the now defunct "Wye Discussion" thread.

Comment

I would imagine so and then a further attempt under the disguise of Dee Monkey ....... first post

Comment

I notice that as well as the local angler people that are associated with WUF keep catching whatever the river conditions are. Odd that.

Comment

I also note that the 'local angler' never puts in a blank return ....

Comment

Ah, the delicious irony of it all. On the sea trout forum, Towy thread page 82, one "bigdai" aka commando 1 and David Watkins is bemoaning the fact that tax payers money is being squandered by giving every tinpot group with crack pot ideas funding in the form of grants. Apparently one get funding for any far out notion these days. I thought some of us had been complaining about such waste of tax payers funds for years. I wonder does getting funds for cutting down trees one year only to get grants to plant them back the next or getting a grant to remove "woody debris" and getting more money for putting it back come into this deplorable state of affairs "bigdai" reminds us of.

I'm just trying to think if I know of any such offending organisation.

Comment

Maybe bigdai will point you in the right direction TCT? Its all about training i think.

The Towy guys led by Bigdai complain about silage and slurry and now chicken manure, how much worse it is now to the good old days, how its all changed recently etc etc. Note that no one, not even bigdai has actually gathered any evidence of deteriorating water quality but they are heavy on the rhetoric. Wouldn't it be more effective to present the actual evidence to NRW / WG rather than speculation? I must admit that the whole system seems very familiar.

Don't worry though they have been funded to do some weeding ..... is that what bigdai means?

Comment

I see the backenders are getting a bashing, it’s pretty certain that some of those won’t survive,awful shame for the river. I was told that the river Camel stopped fishing for Salmon this season to preserve the stock, they didn’t believe that catch and release was good for their river because some would die so preferred not to fish at all. Different rivers different reasons I suppose.

Comment

SD, many will survive but will they have the energy to spawn correctly? If they do they have no means of replacing the energy lost in a battle on rod and line .......

Comment

I'm guilty of fishing for back-end fish. I hardly saw a single fish show for six weeks and went back to barbel fishing, then a few started to show with the recent small rises and I couldn't help myself.

Comment

Nothing wrong with catching a fish off your beat especially if you are new to it

You have to ask why people who have caught hundreds maybe thousands of salmon are still trying to add a few to the total, maybe they should try fishing with no hook and see if they get a significant pull?

The WUF people claim that most of the backenders survive the catch and release process although typically they have no facts to support their assumptions, what they cannot seem to answer id if the fish carry on to spawn naturally after a breathe taking battle with rod and line and no process to replace that energy by the way of food????

Comment

When the Wye Foundation was set up all those years ago there was great enthusiasm from all involved with the river because the strap line was in bold PRESERVING and PROTECTING the Salmon, a few years went by and it soon became the Wye & Us foundation and many soon lost their enthusiasm in what was taking place.I see that NRW are going to make all welsh rivers catch & release. I ask the question why are they not being advised to end the season end of September like it used to be to preserve and protect the spawners or is there another reason why that advice is not forthcoming.

Comment

Working...
                                X